Sunday, February 14, 2010

Summery of research part 3

I found this part of the research to be the hardest so far. Learning what makes the best boolean search took me some time. The things I thought were important to the search sometimes were not. I found it to be a good tool just a hard one to get the hang of.
I also had some trouble finding things in the library's databases. The newspaper articles and scholarly journals were easy it was the magazine articles I had more trouble with. I don't know if it was just that the subject I was using there just have not been many articles written or if I was just not searching the correct way. In the end I found all the different search choices to be fun and challenging and that there is really a lot of great stuff out there to read and use in the future.

1 comment:

  1. There is definately a lot of great stuff out there-- finding it is sometimes a struggle. Changing where you look or the words you use is usually the answer. In the case of the assignment, you would probably have gotten more retrievals if you had changed search terms. It is a good idea to check out the language of the database in the thesaraus or to look at the subject terms in the good articles you find.

    I appreciate your rational for choosing the articles that you did, but I wanted to point out that you did not include the three elements of a scholarly article in the article that you chose. It is something you need to know for all research so go back and read over that again.

    Good work,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete